This is the first part of the intervention plan and is currently under review (so it might change a little). I have heard many people tell me to go slow and be patient. One of the gifts of the Spirit is patience (apparently also translated as long-suffering).
So, rather than attempt to train people in January 2018, it has been suggested that I take a few more trips to build trust.
1) Visit 3 times in 2018 - spreading the word and building trust.
2) Hire an on-the-ground organizer to continue the enthusiasm between visits.
3) Get more details that will help in structuring sponsorships and agreements to keep the children/families in the programs.
4) Plan for the 3-layer mentoring training (Kinship Partners will help us) for 2019.
After the August 2017 Needs Assessment, we developed a number of goals:
- To continue to build trust with people in St. Vincent while working toward providing training programs. This will take time and patience. It will also need a "presence."
- Many children in SVG (especially those living in orphanages) will benefit from a relationship with caring adults. Resiliency can be nurtured through a relationship with a caring adult who can share a sense of hope.
- Provide one-on-one care for the boy in St. Benedict's Home.
We will train local community members to help children in the Homes using 3 "layers" of programming. Each child will be matched to adult mentor(s) based on their needs. After the pilot project, we will expand mentoring to all children in need. We will provide training for adults to serve as volunteers or paid a stipend (more on that reasoning later). Training layers will be:
- Kinship Partners training – to foster long-lasting relationships between caring adults and children and teens.
- Stephen Ministry training – to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to children and teens who are hurting. (Later, this might expand to serve adults as well.)
- Mental Health training and Spiritual Direction – to provide guidance to overcome trauma and abuse, and to find connection to God acting in our lives.